There are four main components to this delicious, super healthy, high-carb feast! The tomato and lentil sauce, steamed brown rice, sweet potato wedges and hummus. It makes for an easy, simple meal that feels a bit more indulgent than basic rice and veg.
(Serves 2, with leftovers)
1 cup Brown Rice
2 large Sweet Potatoes
1 organic Vegetable Stock cube
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
300 g Brown Mushrooms
1 large courgette
2 cups of spinach
2 tins organic chopped tomatoes
1 can organic brown lentils
Salt and pepper
1 can Organic Chickpeas
1 lemon (large! Or 2 small ones to be safe)
1 Tbsp Tahini
1 clove garlic
1 tsp Cumin
Aprox. 1/4 cup water (use as required)
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2) Prep your Sweet Potato by slicing into wedges and placing on a lined oven-tray with a small drizzle of Sunflower oil, salt and Rosemary. Bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until cooked and crispy.
3) In a large saucepan - put the brown rice with two cups of cold water and stock cube. Bring to boil and then lower heat to a gentle simmer. Test the rice after 20 minutes. I like mine pretty chewy!
4) Prep all vegetables by dicing onion and garlic and slicing mushrooms and courgette. Keep separate.
5) Add sunflower oil to a large frying pan or wok on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing until lightly brown.
6) Add mushrooms and courgette. Stir these through for a few minutes, keeping heat evenly distributed.
7) Lower the heat and add tinned tomatoes, lentils, spinach a generous amount of thyme, salt and pepper.
8) Keep on a low simmer for at least ten minutes. Ideally the longer this has, the nicer it will taste :) Check flavour regularly, adding more seasoning as required.
9) Now it's Hummus o'clock - woot. Super simple and super fast. All you need to do is combine all ingredients in a powerful, high speed blender (except the water.) Add water gradually, beginning with just a few tablespoons and add more as required. Taste as you go and add more salt, water or lemon juice as you like :)
10) Drain the brown rice of any remaining water and add final seasonings to your sauce.
11) To serve - begin with a bed of brown rice, add a few leaves of raw spinach and finish with a large spoonful of sauce. Be generous with the veggies! I sleeves my wedges on the side with a bowl of hummus for dipping.
As a swerving suggestion - try with some vegan cheese! Vegusto gets my vote for vegan cheese that actually tastes good.